სსიპ - საქართველოს შინაგან საქმეთა სამინისტროს აკადემია
LEPL - Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia

About the academy / History

History

 

The Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs has gone quite a long way of development. It was established in the 1920s.

  • Nowadays the MIA Academy provides basic training courses for prospective police officers and retraining and promotional courses for acting policemen. The successful graduates can start working at the respective units of the MIA.
  • The MIA Academy has been granted the status of a higher education institution. The Master’s Program in Police Regulation Law has been implemented at the Academy. The program is aimed at training staff, equipped with relevant skills, knowledge and an academic degree, executing police functions for middle management positions of the corresponding units of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia, who adhere to the rule of law, democratic and humane values.
  • The Archive of the Ministry of Internal Affairs was transferred into the subordination of the Academy on the 1st June of 2012 year. The MIA Archive combines the archival materials of the former State Security Committee, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Georgian SSR. The MIA Archive implements various innovative projects on a regular basis.
  • On the 15th March of 2006 the Special Training Center was transferred into the subordination of the MIA Academy, which was established after cancellation of the Academy of the State Security Ministry of Georgia and has been functioning since 2004 year. Currently the Center holds the status of an unit of the Academy.
  • The reforms carried out at the Academy since 2004 resulted in the fundamental change and renovation of the Academy facilities. With the financial support of international donor organizations, the Academy was equipped with the latest technologies. Many new buildings were constructed on the venue, modern interactive training methodology was implemented. The instructors of the Academy are sent to requalification courses in Georgia as well as abroad for enhancement of educational process.
  • In 1994 the High School of Militia was transformed into the MIA Academy on the basis of the decision of the ministers’ cabinet of the Republic of Georgia.
  • In 1978 the School of Militia was granted the status of a higher education institution and was included in the Moscow High School of Militia. Since then the entrance exams had been held only in Russian. The newly-constructed building was allocated for the School of Militia in Gldani district, Tbilisi. After graduation the trainees were conferred the special rank of “a militia lieutenant” and the degree of “a specialist of legal studies”. In 1988 Georgian language and literature and physical training were added to the entrance examinations and the department of mastering sport was established.
  • In January of 1941 the school was granted the title of Tbilisi Militia School of the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs of the USSR. The educational process was held in Georgian and Russian languages. In the documents dated to 1941 female cadets and trainees were mentioned for the first time.
  • In 1930 year the City Council allocated a new building for the school on Babeli, currently Erekle Square. The structure of the school was changed and training of police officers along with leadership personnel was launched on the venue of the Militia School.
  • On the 15th of May of 1925 year, under the 220th order of the People’s Commissar for Internal Affairs of the Georgian SSR, the school of senior militia personnel was established. The building for the educational institution was allocated on the Petre-Pavle Street #15 in Tbilisi. The Militia School was staffed with “heads of regional committee militia” and “senior policemen” sent from districts. After three months, on the 1st of October of 1925 the training courses were modified to the two-year school for senior militia personnel. The first cohort included only 51 cadets.

© 2017 LEPL - Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia